While we're all still sad that Christmas is over here in the VIVA office, we just found out that the best part of winter is definitely not over yet: Ice Castles are back and officially open in Midway, Stillwater, Lincoln, Wisconsin Dells, and Edmonton. Built by hand using only water and icicles, we have nine good reasons why you should head over to check them out ASAP:
1. This is what all of your childhood princess dreams are made of. Even if you'd rather get impaled by an icicle than hear "Let It Go" played one more time, it's practically impossible to pass up the ultimate Frozen photo op of your life.
2. Frosty fairy tales not your thing? You don't have to play dress up to bring your Insta feed up to a 11 out of 10. The castles are open for private photo sessions when booked in advance, and are especially popular for cosplay or bridal shoots – guys included:
3. But really, any casual iPhone shot you take here can do no wrong:
4. Especially at night.
5. Or during one of their striking lights shows.
6. Or a fireworks show.
7. Did we also mention there is a ice slide? Just make sure to wear thick pants to pad your bum and some non-slip shoes:
8. Every inch of every surface is designed and laid out by hand, then sprayed with water and allowed to crystalize overnight. Each castle is composed of roughly 10,000 icicles, weighing a total of 25,000,000 pounds. The mind-blowing handiwork shows in the details:
9. Worried about falling icicles ruining your perfect day out in Winter Wonderland? The Ice Castles crew assures us that no visitors will run the risk of an ice injury, thanks to careful construction and the physical properties of connection points.
Wrap up in your warmest coat, grab your camera, and get set to hit up the coolest place in town – just remember to make your reservations well in advance.